Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Surpriiiiiise!

Let's put it this way. The week my sister got married, I had insomnia. She, on the other hand, slept just fine. If there is a party happening in my family, I'm up to my elbows in the planning. I am not, in any way, complaining about this. I used to be an event coordinator and I absolutely relish in the preparation and pulling off of an event.

That same sister knocked my socks off by driving 16 hours from New Orleans to cheer me on when I walked across the stage Saturday. As I scanned the crowd to find my family, I realized my error in not wearing waterproof mascara as my eyes landed on my little sister, waving with the same ferociousness as someone who has just realized the camera is poised in their direction while in Times Square on New Year's Eve. She spent 32 hours in a vehicle with her 5-year-old over the course of four days so that she wouldn't miss my day. That is love.

I also thought there was a very real possibility, even as the first person to graduate in my family, that we might just order pizza that night. Okay, I'm joking. But I certainly was not expecting to see a white stretch Hummer casually hanging outside my mom's house when we walked out, calling who was going to ride with who.

What the what?

And then we showed up to dinner and I'm all predictable, "Table for eight, please." This, of course, right before I notice that friends of mine are already sitting there! It was amazing. My two closest friends, one local, one in Philly, had helped my mama pull off an epic surprise.

Every last detail- the Spanish champagne, the invite in rhyming Spanish, the Mexican food...it had been planned perfectly.

I LOVE surprises.

Thanks to all the awesome people in my life.

And now I'm feeling the itch to plan a party for someone...

Typical.

5 comments:

  1. That is amazing! What a great feeling to have friends and family like that. That makes me smile for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now listen, I already cried once today when Timbaland's son had all kinds of surprise musical guests on My Super Sweet Sixteen and NOW you've made me tear up again.

    Your family is amazing!

    Also, I don't agree with nor do I condone any aspect of My Super Sweet Sixteen. I don't know why I got choked up.

    At least you both had hummers :)Thankfully yours came with a college degree that you EARNED. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing surprise! Sounds like you deserved it. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well now you made me cry! i wouldn't have missed it for anything, i am SO PROUD you are my sister and i love you!!!!! ...and if you're wanting to plan something, i was thinking we should do something special for Mom this mother's day, but i don't know what. ideas??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi- that's like five months away! We can plan something amazing for sure :) Especially now that I'll have all this time! We'll chat soon!

    ReplyDelete